The Most Dangerous Home Electrical Hazards
Whether you have a family home, you own a commercial property, or run a business, ensuring the safety of people and assets is vital. An electrical safety hazard can be potentially fatal and lead to the loss or injury of a loved one.
Electricity is a fundamental aspect of our everyday lives in Australia. It powers our world allowing us to cook, watch Netflix, have a coffee, surf the internet, and so much more. However, there are some extremely dangerous electrical safety hazards that you must avoid at all costs.
Just like our appliances, wiring breaks down over time. If you’ve got old wires in your home or business, you may like to consider an upgrade. Here are some signs your wiring needs to be fixed:
- Difficulty drawing power
- A burning smell
- Warm spots
- Obvious fraying in exposed wires
- Noises such as humming.
Outlets too close to water
Water and electricity do not mix and can cause electric shock. Outlets in bathrooms, kitchens, and other living areas with water should be installed a fair distance away from the water source. As water conducts electricity, keeping outlets away from water reduces the chance of electric shock.
Keep an eye out for leaking water around your electrics as well.
Electrical appliances should never be handled with wet hands as this heightens the chance of getting an electric shock. Keep appliances far away from sinks, bathtubs, showers, and taps.
Extension cords should be carefully fixed in place where possible to reduce the chance of tripping or accident. You shouldn’t use extension cords as a permanent substitute for additional power sockets, and avoid using them for too many appliances at once.
The wrong light bulbs
We don’t often think of lightbulbs as being electrical hazards, but the potential for an electrical fire arises when lightbulbs are kept near flammable materials. Lamps and other lighting fixtures have specific wattage ratings, and you’ll need to use bulbs that are at or below that number to prevent fire.
Covered wires and cords
Heavy covering of wires can cause the cords to overheat, which could lead to an electrical fire. Keep cords and wires away from other items and keep them uncovered.
Similarly, make sure that items like computers and televisions have enough space around them for ventilation, to prevent them from overheating.
Home Electrical Hazards Checklist
Electricity makes our lives easier every day, but it’s powerful and needs to be treated with respect. In addition to making some upgrades around the house, you may consider installing smart outlets that can be turned off from an app on your phone or contracting with an alarm company that can monitor for fire and smoke in the house.
Voltfix Electrical is a trusted electrical service provider. Our team has years of experience in both electrical work and effective customer service.